|loco burrito mix||1 pkg|
|jalapeno, minced||1 ea|
|green pepper, finely chopped||1 ea|
|avocado, peeled, stone removed, diced||1 ea|
|tomatoes, diced||2 ea|
|green onions, finely chopped||6 ea|
|garlic cloves, minced||2 ea|
|cilantro, chopped||1/4 cup|
|limes, juice of||2 ea|
- cook bean mix
- Stovetop Method:
- Combine one package of Loco Burrito mix (333g) with 6 cups of water.
- Cover and bring to a simmer.
- Simmer covered for 1 ½ hours stirring occasionally.
- PRK cooked the Loco Burrito mix using the stovetop directions listed on package label. A stainless steel 4.5L pot was used for the trial. During cooking the sides of pot needed to be scraped down continuously to prevent the spice mix from burning on the sides.
- After 2 ½ hours cooking time the beans were fully cooked however the mixture was still quite soupy. The mixture was cooked an additional 23 minutes uncovered to evaporate the excess water. After the excess water was cooked off the bean mixture was overcooked and mushy. An instruction to drain the excess water after the 2 ½ cooking time will produce better textured beans but will waste some of the spice and flavour dissolved in the cooking liquid.
- Instant Pot Method:
- Combine 1 package of Pea Soup mix (360g) with 2.5 cups of water in the bowl of an instant pot or other electronic pressure cooker.
- Seal pot and set timer for 60 minutes.
- After cooking time, allow pot to depressurize naturally.
- Open pot and stir beans for 15 -30 seconds.
- The Loco Burrito mix cooked in the instant pot was a superior product to the control stove top method. After the 60 minute cook time only a small amount of water remained in the pot which was quickly absorbed after stirring the bean mixture. The beans were perfectly cooked, maintained their shape and were not mushy.
- Stovetop Method:
- drain and let them cool.
- put beans into a large mixing bowl and mash slightly with a fork.
- add the remaining ingredients and mix together.
- taste and adjust seasoning, if needed.
- serve as a dip with your favourite corn chips or over greens as a salad.
- *optional: for a smoother dip, pulse half the mixture in a food processor and then fold back into the remaining bean mix.