|olive oil||1/4 cup|
|yellow onions, peeled, sliced||2 ea|
|garlic cloves, minced||6 ea|
|cumin, ground||2 tsp|
|fennel seeds, ground||2 tsp|
|dried ancho chilies, stemmed, seeded, chopped||6 ea|
|tinned, diced tomatoes||1 pkg|
|tortilla soup mix||1 pkg|
|lime juice||as needed|
- heat oil in a large soup pot. cook onions 6-8 minutes until they are beginning to brown.
- add garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- add cumin and fennel and cook for 1 minute.
- add 6 cups of water or stock, the bean mix and the chili peppers.
- cook covered approximately 2 hours or until the beans are tender.
- add the tomatoes and cook an additional 20 minutes.
- carefully ladle half of the bean mix into a blender and puree until smooth.
- pour the puree back into the pot and mix with the remaining beans.
- bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook until it’s the desired thickness.
- season with salt and fresh lime juice.
- toss with your favourite cooked pasta noodles.